What is Aeneas' emotional state as the poem opens?
Why is Aeneas lost?
How does Virgil use fire and wind to tell the story?
What do fire and wind symbolize?
What other symbols are present?
How does Virgil's depiction of the gods differ from
that of Homer?
What kind of friendship does Aeneas have with Dido?
What is the meaning of the II.728-29?
Why does Aeneas find it so difficult to establish his
- Why does Aeneas reject Dido?
- In what ways is Dido a tragic figure? What does her death symbolize?
- Describe the extent of Aeneas' free will.
- How does Virgil use omens to tell his story?
- How is fire still being used as a leitmotif of the work?
- Find three different passages from the poem that
epitomize its meaning.
- What is the significance of Palinurus' death?
- Why must Aeneas descend into hell?
- Is Aeneas heroic?
- Compare the suffering of Aeneas with that of Achilles.
- What do the two gates of Sleep represent?
- What is Aeneas' motto?