- What is Boethius' problem?
- What is Lady Philosophy's diagnosis?
- How does Fortune work?
- What are the laws of Fortune? of free will?
- Is Fortune "just"?
- Is tragedy part of Fortune?
- How are we to be happy?
- What does it mean to "possess" something?
Read through p. 103
Bring a Bluebook for an in class writing
Bring your own discussion questions on
According to Boethius, does Satan possess will?
What core assumptions lie beneath Boethius'
claim that the wicked are unhappy when they unjustly go scot
Draw a picture to depict the relationship
between fate & providence.
How can divine providence, i.e. foreknowledge,
preserve free will? What is the key to his argument?
Make a list: Without free will, we get __?
What does Boethius mean when he says: "every
object of knowledge is known not as a result of its own nature,
but of the nature of those who comprehend it" (132)