Dante - Purgatorio
Focus on Cantos X - XXIII
Biweekly Writing for 3.9.17
Write your own Purgatorio Canto of at least 99 lines, based on the sin of your own choosing - DO NOT use any of the sins found in Dante's Purgatorio.
- Explicate the ingredients of a terrace of penitence.
- Which terrace is most interesting?
- How is it determined that a penitent is ready to ascend from their terrace?
- What is the difference between penitence and contrapasso?
- What is the connection between each of the terrace sins and Fortune?
- According to Boethius, does Satan possess will?
- Draw a picture to depict the relationship
between fate & providence.
- What core assumptions lie beneath Boethius'
claim that the wicked are unhappy when they unjustly go scot
- How does Boethius' notion of evil differ from that of Dante? Augustine?